It is always such a chore to get all four kids dressed to play outside in the snow. When I finally accomplished the feat I sighed with relief. All four kids at home that day and I needed a diversion for them to do while I cooked lunch.
The Glance family have a nice fenced in yard with ample amount of snow to play in. I had a to go outside a couple times to check on Sophia, who is the youngest, but otherwise they played fairly well with each other and were having a good time. The kitchen is right next to the back door and I would glance every few minutes to see what they were doing. After checking the food I looked out the window and realized I couldn't see any of the kids anymore. My first thought was that Franklin went in the front yard after I told him he couldn't. (He wanted to sled down the front little hill which would have most likely put him in the street.) They weren't there and I could find them on the side of the house. I started to yell each of their names hoping that they would hear me. I had no idea where they went!
The alley was my next place to look. "Franklin! Corbin! Austin!" I called over and over again. Franklin is tall enough to open the gate and I never know what they will want to do next. I couldn't find them in the alley and I wondered if the neighbors let them in their house. Although I doubted they would take in all four kids. Especially Sophia. I was getting worried and wondering how I could have lost four kids, One of them not even two years old yet!
I was standing in the back yard calling their names, when I heard Sophia's little voice say something. I looked over at next to the fence and saw a canoe that was tipped over and appeared to be covered in snow. But alas! It was not completely covered. I walked around it there were blue snowsuits peeking out from underneath. "Come out of there!" I said very sternly. I leaned over and saw that all four kids were hiding under the canoe. It was frozen in the snow so I couldn't tip it over. They evidently had heard me calling them but were trying to be very quiet so I couldn't find them.
I was pretty upset to say the least. Everyone except Sophia was sent to their rooms. I tried to explain to Franklin, the eldest, about why it is such a bad thing to hide like that without telling me or responding to me when I call. "How would you feel if you were taking care of TJ's (neighbor boy next door) puppy and the puppy ran away?" I asked him. "Not very good." he said with the most repentant look on his face that I have ever seen him have.
It was an interesting day. I think the story is quite funny now, I really wasn't that worried. Maybe because it didn't quite register what would happen if they really were lost. The thoughts of kidnapping were brief. Who would kidnap four kids? Anyways I am so thankful they are safe and sound. Oh I forgot to tell their mother! I will have to do that today.
Monday, March 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment