(I will correct things later, sorry no pictures yet. I only have 30 minutes online.)
How does one describe yesterday? I will attempt to, but it won't nearly be as accurate as it was. It was a day of travel, to say the least. I think I took every mode of transportation possible, except a boat and a bicycle. I woke up early around 6:30am and laid in my bed for a moment. I realized that the next time I lied down I would be in Venice Italy. It was crazy for me to think about and I wasn't sure if I truly believed it. I packed right away and had breakfast, I let Melissa know which train I would like to take to get out of town. There were two, one at 8:48am and one at 9:48am, and I decided to take the early one.
I wasn't able to go to a church service that day, but I took a nice morning walk to talk to God and see the area. The sun was out, but it was still a chilly morning. I enjoyed looking at the house and all of it's ordinate parts. There were walled in garden areas that I assume in the summer would be bursting with flowers. I came inside to finish a couple things and then I headed to the train station with Bob. I was so thankful to them for having me stay there. It was a blessing even though Katy couldn't have been there with me
I took the train to Glasgow and then onto the Prestwick Airport which is an hour out of town. The trains to me have more of a subway feel than a train that goes across the country. I arrived and checked in. I think I was the first one because they just put up the sign for Milan Bergamo. This airport is pretty only flights from Ryanair, which is a discount airline in the U.K.. If you get there right away for a ticket you might only hav to pay .01 GBP. after taxes maybe $20. But if you want to check in a piece of baggage that is another $16.
Anyways, I checked in way too early. Probably 2.5 hours before me flight was supposed to leave. I went through security and found that the waiting area, for the amount of people present, was pretty small. It is because there were only two gates that people walked through and a ton of flights. I am not sure what was up but there were about 3-4 different large groups of people that had matching shirts and gear. It looked as though they were young people who had adult leaders with them. I think they must have been going to a convention of some sorts, or coming back from one.
I don't think I have every been in a waiting room as loud as that one. Randomly and at different times the guys in the groups would burst into song. A few Scottish songs were sung, one about the "Oh wonderful bum!" of one of the ladies, and then they also sang about each of their leaders and how they were loved, "deep down in our hearts." It was hilarious! Then the other groups would catch on and sing some of their own songs. The last song I believe was simply the word "Cheerio" in a very catchy toon. They called each group separately so that they could board the plane. The tricky thing about Ryanair is that you aren't assigned seats, unless you prepay to be able to board first, it is on a first come first serve basis. So on the flight they got on they must have prepaid. When the groups were called by their number the group would stand up and cheer and then proceed to sing the cheerio song as they boarded the plane. I have to say that I am glad I was going to a different destination, because, although it would be fun, it would have been a very loud flight I believe.
They anounced that my flight was 20 minutes delayed. I grew a little nervous. I was suppose to leave Prestwick at 2:00pm and get into Milano Bergamo at 5:30pm (there is an hour time difference.) Then I had to get a bus to the train station. I knew there were a few trains to take. They basically all went to the same place in different ways. But I thought that one of them was between 6-7pm.
We got in line and went through the gate, we walked through doors and into a hallway where we stood for almost 40 minutes. I never did figure out what the problem was, but our flight left about 40 minutes later than its original time.
I was pretty nervous about this trip the whole day. I prayed that somehow I would have people that could help me on the way. Well on the plane two people sat next to me, a middle aged man and his mother. It was her birthday in the up-coming week and he was taking her to Venezia (Venice) Italy for her birthday. They both lived in Scotland and he had been to Italy several times already, talk about a God thing. They were actually staying in Bergamo that night and leaving on the morning train, but they talked to me about my trip and theirs, and it made me feel more comfortable. Hamish and Gene were their names. Hamish is pronounced with a strong A sound. Haa mish. They shared their easter candy (I would have been without any Easter candy if it wasn't for them,) a sandwich and even some drinks that they had with them. I was so blessed. I told them about my trip and about living in Scotland. It was a great two hours.
I was still really worried about my train. We arrived in Bergamo, and saw the Alps from the airport. Hamish got out his guidebook and gave me some numbers for hostels in case I didn't make the train. I was praying and praying that it would work out. They were staying in a very nice hotel in Old Town Bergamo, so there wasn't any possibility of me staying with them, it would be out of my price bracket. Hamish gave me his cell phone number and said that if I got stuck to call him, he would help me if he could. I was so thankful to have that to fall back on. They stayed with me as I got my luggage, it was the last piece, one reason not to sign in first. We went to the ATM and then found the information booth to get bus tickets.
It was a great info booth, the lady pulled up the train times for me and let me know when the airport bus would leave. It was 6:30pm, the airport bus left at 6:40pm, and the train left at 6:56pm. We all did not think I would make it. I was told the bus took 15 minutes to get to the train station. It looked bad... I had to try though. I didn't want to waste the money spent on my hostel, and the possibility of having to book something else on top of that. We all got on the airport shuttle. The minutes were counting down. It was 6:47pm and we were at a red light that just did not want to change! Eventually it did, I was praying all along that the train would be late. I didn't know how reliable Italian trains were but I hoped it would be possible. I had a map of Bergamo in front of me and knew that it was just one more turn and then the station would be there. I hoped that it was easy to buy a ticket.
6:52pm, I thanked Hamish and Gene for helping me, and looking out for me, and for feeding me. They wished me good luck and I jumped off the bus at 6:54. There was another guy who was in a hurry too. The ticket counter was right in the door. It was my first time talking to someone who knew just a little English. I said I wanted to go to Venice, and he asked if it was right now? I said yes!!! He issued the ticket, it was 12.25 euro, less than I thought. He told me that I had to put it in the yellow box, I nodded and said "grazie." You buy your ticket and then you have to put them in the box to prove that you used them only once. Hamish showed me on the bus and we talked about it.
The man said the train was coming on platform 1 (Bin 1). I rushed out to the open area and was thankful to see that Bin 1 was right in front of me. I breathed a sigh of relief because the train wasn't even there yet! It was 6:56 and I actually had to wait for the train. I told God that I was here, so it didn't really need to be late now. haha.
I saw a man and his young son that spoke English, so I resolved to sit near them so I could ask questions if I needed to know something. For one thing I had no idea where I had to change trains, and another.. Well I thought the yellow box thing you put your tickets in would be on the train. But no, from the train window I watched it roll away from me as the train picked up speed. I had talked to Hamish about how people would sometimes pay up to 40 euro if they were found without a validated ticket. So I asked and the man in front of me said it should be okay.
I settled in, but not completely, I was thankful that I had made the train, but I had no idea where I was supposed to get off. haha. A young guy who was reading book sat down across from me, and I asked him. We didn't understand each other fully, he spoke some English. But he gave me an answer that I shoudl get off in about an hour, I guess he told me where but I didn't get that part. Thankfully he helped me anyways. I had two stops, one in Brescia, and then one in Verona. He was getting off in Verona to visit his friend. He told me that his friend was famous, or at least wanted to be, and that his friend was so funny and smart that he probably would be some day. We got off at Verona and he left with his famous friend, after they helped me find out which train I should get on next. I was once again very thankful, because God led someone across my path to help me out. We had a good chat on the train from Brescia to Verona and he helped me learn how to pronounce some of the Italian words in my phrase book.
I got to Venice, it was 11:40pm and raining outside. The temperature was about the same as when I left Scotland, chilly. I had to get to the bus station in Piazzale Roma. A couple Americans helped me pronounce it correctly and I was off. I had a map and there were signs so it didnìt take me long to find it. I had to cross the grand canal on a tall ordinante bridge, and my first impression of Venezia was made. I thought it beautiful.
At the Piazzale, I once again had to find someone to help me. I had to get to the Aereporto because my hostel was near there. Everyone seemed to speak Italian. I prayed and asked God to help me hear someone speak English if there was someone out there. I thought I heard this philipino couple near me speak some English words, we were all waiting under a roof until our bus came along. They were about to run to one, but it turned out it wasn't right. It was then that we got to talking, they were going on the bus that went to the airport too. I had been wearing my hat, but took it off for some reason. My mom kept making comments on how different my long blond hair would look there in Italy. So I had been wearing the hat to keep it coverd, might as well not draw attention to myself.
I should have left it on, an older Italian man tried talking to me, he felt very weird, and I said I didn't understand what he was saying. The other couple was right next to me. The Phillipino man told him that I am English. The man said something about a hotel and then asked me if I was flying out. I said I was going to the airport, but because he felt weird to me I didn't say that I wasn't leaving town. The othe rman talked to him saying I wouldn't understand him. Thankfully our bus came and we rushed off to get on. That guy creeped me out, and I will always wear my hat at night from now on.
So folks, this is a long story but it doesn't end here. Our bus left at 12:40am. I was thinking to myself, "What am I doing up this late in a foreigh country?" Everyone on the bus got off before we got the airport. When I arrived I was the only one stepping off of the bus. It was 1:10am and the airport transit area was deserted. I had hoped a taxi would be there. On my map the hostel campground looked like it was right next to the airport. I considered walking, but I was too tired and had a backpack on me. I had no idea what to do. I walked into the airport but there was not a lot of people around, some people in busines suits were sleeping one benches with their briefcses as pillows. There were a few others who were cleaning shop windows. I walked back out. I had tried to talk to the bus driver earlier about how to get to where I was going. He didn't speak any English, except taxi. But when I came out of the airport he was by a phone station, it was bright orange and said taxi call phone or something like that. He pointed to it and after a long string of Italian I realized that I was supposed to call a taxi from there. The bus left and I attempted. It didn't work.
Finally I whipped out my cell phone and decided it was a good time to use it. It would be worth the 72 cents per minute. I called my hostel and asked what to do, the man said he would call a taxi for me and that it would probably cost 15 euros. That was more money than my 4 hour train ride, but I didn't have much of a choice right then. I was picked up by a taxi driver that seemd a little like a Italian hippy, if thats possible. He took the corners really fast, but he got me there quick. It was about a 5 minute drive.
I arrived at the campground and was happy to find that I had my own cabin to myself. I didn't have to worry about roommates or anyone bothering me. The guy at the reception said they were not very busy so I should be by myself the whole two nights. I was so thankful. I lied down and breathed a sigh of relief, I was safe and sound in Venezia Italy. I had yet to see much of it, but I was so happy to finally sleep. I fell asleep at about 2:30am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That was quite an adventuresome day!1 I'm glad that you made it through safely and with the help of kind strangers. M>
Hillary, you need to get a better hat!! Ha ha. M.
You forgot the part about calling home and your sister saving your butt! Why would you totally leave that out of your story huh?
I am sorry but that happened the second day and I was only writing about the first so far! Thank you though, I appreciated it. I knew I could count on you to answer.
I think the longest day ever, turned into the longest blog ever....
Post a Comment