I believe a good writer can see stories in almost anything. I haven't been writing as much on my blog lately partly because I haven't taken the time to write down things that happen to me.
I haven't really been out much lately- church, work, friend's homes, mall, grocery store, that is about as far out as I have ventured. I realized this last week when I took the light rail home from my friend Joanna's home. I think it was because when you are riding public transportation you have time to just sit and observe people, rather than when you are out and about in your car you are just coming and going; without any real interaction with people in general.
It was a deserted platform that I arrived at. Rush hour was basically over with. A few people trickled in and I waited. The train arrived and I had to decide which door to enter. After getting on I saw two seats open, an aisle and window seat. The aisle looked liked someone had an accident on it or something along those lines. Probably just spilled coffee. I skipped over that one and sat by the window.
I enjoyed sitting back and looking at the scenery. Several stops later a man with an orange vest got on. I had my headphones in and was looking out the window until all of a sudden he got on and started hammering on the seat next to me. At first I wasn't sure what he was doing. It was a little awkward because everyone was watching him and therefore me. I didn't know whether I should watch him or just ignore that he was there.
He popped the bottom of the seat off and he put a new one on and hammered it in. The train apparently was waiting for him to get done. After quickly finishing he stepped out of the train and waved to the driver. I watched him as he walked away, opened a gate and with the dirty seat under his arm he gradually faded from view as our mode of transportation increased in velocity.
Everyone on the train was still looking at me and where the man had left. I didn't really know how to respond. It was a little awkward so I just shrugged my shoulders and smiled, and returned my gaze to the scenery going by.
He accomplished all of this in such a short amount of time. It is sort of nice to know that people are keeping up with how our public transportation vehicles are looking. He apparently knew exactly which seat in which train was dirty. A little awkward for me, but that is okay. I am used to weird awkward situations. I thought it hilarious and am retelling the story... even now.
Monday, August 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment