Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A windy night

There was just something about this night that was different from before. Not that all nights line up and are the same. But there was something in the air.

During worship time at youth group I stood in the dark foyer and gazed outside. The wind was whipping about furiously. The trees were dancing and shaking. I looked up at the crescent moon still casting light down to the earth despite its small size. The stars shown brightly breaking through the city's lighted atmosephere. Something inside me responded to the activity outside the walls I was dwelling in. I didn't understand fully what was drawing me to gaze. I think we don't ever really understand what draws us to gaze at beauty. I now believe I understand... Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork."

God is revealing Himself through His creation. He is revealing Who He is. I tasted it tonight. As clearly as a friend will share who they are when you sit down across from them, as much as you want to have people know who you really are. The God of the Universe wants to reveal WHO HE IS to us. Because He wants us to love Him more and more.

He is always speaking, tonight the romance of a moonlit windy night drew my thoughts towards Him. While the heavens declared Who He is I listened and learned. Perhaps you have had those moments, when you stand in awe of creation. Something inside you stirs and you wonder why you stand in silence. Know He is speaking... Know He is calling... Know that He is drawing you away to be with Him. He wants people to know Him for Who He really is. My thoughts and worries seemed small in comparison. For the Almighty God knows who I am. Just as He orchestrates the heavens and puts the stars into place- He has a plan for my life and wants the best for me. So I can trust Him, I can trust Him with everything.

I left the church to my solitary car in the parking lot. Although the other side of the parking lot there is a row of trees. Tonight I stood alone under the lamp light, slightly chilled after leaving my coat in the car. I stood with my hands in my pockets and watched the trees. As clearly as you may see me worship Him with dance on a Sunday morning-- I saw them dancing, and He was the One moving them, He was the One giving them life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hillary,

These paragraphs are a thing of beauty in and of themselves. As you conveyed a very real and moving experience, you offered it to us to have with you. I believe I saw it, and I felt it. And, for that, I thank you!!