Thursday, February 15, 2007

A friend filled Valentine's Day

This Love Day (as my sister calls it) was one of most fun Valentine's days of my life. My friend Katy agreed.

I woke up blessedly late, and found the house empty. It was a beautiful morning of quietness, with lovely worship music floating through the house. I was a little on edge despite the calm- I was supposed to teach/preach at youth group that night.

Whenever I have a time I am supposed to share in front of people I have that "wonderful" feeling of unrest- like when you have homework that is due soon but you put it off and aren't fully done. That was my feeling. Although I had shared almost the same message the weekend before at the Young Adult Retreat. This was a different group and the God wanted to be shared wouldn't be the same.

My friend Katy two Monday's before had ankle surgery and this week was the week that I was helping to take care of her. It was something I really enjoyed. The night before was our first night apart. She stayed at her apartment and I went home for the first time in 6 days (I babysat Thur. night, had the retreat Fri-Sun, then stayed at her house Sun-Tues.)

Despite our distance that day we still managed to talk a lot. We were planning the night and wanted to make is special for the kids and have them know they were loved. It took a lot of phone calls and planning- approximately around 12 or more calls were put through. Some only minutes apart. I laughed every time her face popped up on my phone again.

The night was amazing- God moved and I got it all out!! We had to rush Carrie home (although it was late-poor dear) and then remembered that I had to buy contact solution.

Katy and I headed to Walgreens.

I for some reason thought that all Valentine's day things were on sale the day of. We discussed buying each other cards and writing mushy stuff for Valentine's day.

We arrived- I opened all the doors for Katy and her crutches (they were automatic, I am good with weighing the floor down.) After grabbing what I needed I found Katy in the card aisle- V-day things were not on sale.

I was not aware of the obsession with greeting cards the Erickson family has until now. I was soon acquainted with it. Katy told me that her parents would go into the store and show each other what card they would buy if in fact they did. After some laughter we decided to do the same.

Katy soon found many cards to give to me (I had been quite helpful throughout the week so many were about kindness and giving.) I was having trouble getting one for her because she just kept grabbing all the good friend ones! I picked up one to give her "For the Man I love," it brought a large laugh. I love making Katy laugh. Finally I found one card to give her and then another. But she trumped me by showing me about 5 or 6. I am not particularly fond of greeting cards, I would rather write down in a letter or receive a letter, but Katy makes it all fun. I guess that is what all the open space is for. We spent quite some time in that aisle. She then started to show me cards she got before and other ones she liked. It was a blast.

This is ending up to be a long blog. So I wasn't as successful at giving/showing my friend some love. But the next day I swung by Walgreens again- when everything was half off and bought her some chocolate and a lovely little green frog that held a heart that said "Kiss Me" and had a crown. This brought more laughs from her- this gift had several inside jokes and words from God from the previous summer tied into it. I love finding the perfect gift- it is way better than the perfect card... haha

Ah I love my friends. This is Katy and the Love Lobster. Who would buy their love something like that?

No comments: