Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Hot Rock that Wasn't Hot!

The most disappointing thing that happened (besides the buffet we went to- don't ask) was the "Hot Rock" at Lassen Volcanic National Park. I must admit that it was my own fault that it held disappointment.

On the way up the mountain I saw on the map a spot marked "Hot Rock." I naturally assumed that it was a hydrothermal type thing, and would be what the title seems to imply. On the way back I insisted on stopping there so I could touch it. We stopped and my dad and sis sat in the car while I jumped out and was all ready with my camera. My expectations were high as I approached. I reached out and touched it- but alas, it wasn't hot at all! It felt like a normal rock type temperature to me. The sign next to it said it used to be hot and that it came from the volcano. I didn't really care that it used to be, I wanted it to be now! I suppose I will have to get over my it. Sorry Dad and Em for making us stop.

Here it is- I suppose it looks cool, being so big and all. It is a 300- ton rock.


No comments: