
I didn't think too much of it when Ben told me there was going to be a bad storm tonight. So I didn't realize what a good idea it was when we took his SUV to youth group instead of my small Honda. I was thankful later.
As we drove north on 94 I began to realize. The sky was black in front of us and we laughed at how we were driving straight into the storm. It wasn't as funny later as we started to arrive in Brooklyn Park. For those who know as we turned onto 73rd from 252 the rain started to come down in sheets. We could hardly see in front of us and all of the light posts were out. We turned onto Humboldt about a 1/4 a mile from church and I never wanted to arrive at our church so badly before. We pulled in front of the emergency doors to the santuary and saw some of the kids standing there ready to open the doors. "You ready?" Ben asked me and we jumped out and ran. A little too quickly because as we stepped in the door I slipped on the wet floor with my flip-flops and my stuff went flying everywhere! A large bump started to form on my leg about two seconds later.
For those who don't want to hear the whole story you can stop reading now.
So there was around 20 of us at church and the lights were all out. We watched the water fall through the large windows. Eventually we were herded into the hallway out of the santuary. There was a little fear in the youth but mostly just excitement. Needless to say we didn't really have youth group that night. We all camped out in the hallway with only the emergency lighting casting a glow over us. A few people had small lights and all the cell phones were taken out to make sure others were safe.
I of course wanted to have a camera to remember the adventure but unfortunately I do not have one at the present time.
So we busted out the cheesecake and lemon bars Tari Dommeyer made and while the storm was at a lull we all headed out on the roads. Us youth leaders decided to meet somewhere to have our delayed leaders meeting at a place called Acapoco which is farther North. 252 was back up traffic but Ben and I still headed even farther north, only to hear after a 20 minute drive that they decided not to meet. So we drove another 30 minutes back to my house.
Brooklyn Park got hit hard, Humboldt Ave was covered with debree and at one point at Brooklyn Dr. there was around a foot or more of water. That was where I was thankful for Ben's car. We heard many sirens and saw lots of trees knocked over. In Brooklyn Center the neighboring city to Brook. Park there was actually a tornado touch down. Also we saw that our church sign was knocked over! Ah! I remember the money we put into that, I hope it is insured.
So there is my recall of an event full night that lasted about 2 and a half hours where we did basically nothing except drive around. I have to admit it was fun! Thanks Ben for being a good driver. I don't remember the last time I was in a storm this bad.
Just a reminder a hurricane has to be 10 times if not more than that worse than this storm. I don't know if I could have handled much worse.

No comments:
Post a Comment