Sunday, July 31, 2005

Oh Rainy Day (a poem written long ago)

Oh rainy day
I wish you would just go away
You make everything so exhausting
Taking away everything fun and gay

I suppose sometimes I like you
When I curl up a read
Oh my bed or couch I listen to you
And feel as though I don’t have a need

Sometimes I don’t mind
When I lay in my bed
I listen to the soft music drip, drop, drip
These sweet lullabies lull me asleep instead

When everything is so very hot
And all the earth so dry, I pray
“Please send the rain God
So everything wouldn’t die.”

When you get so angry
You give me a big thrill!
I love to hear the thunder roar
Voice so loud and strong and shrill

And there are times I cannot wait
Until you flash your light
You are truly beautiful
Making the sky so bright

And those fun days
When you’re not so strong
Our boots go on and umbrella’s come out
Laughter dances as we sing the song

Oh those evil puddles
How they just call us
“You know there is no way out,
you must splash you must.”


So I smile, because I know
You are not so bad at all
God made you as you are
And He is always right

Oh Rainy Day
Please come often to play
But if you please
Don’t remain day, after day, after day…

No comments: