Monday, September 07, 2009

Fears

I have realized lately that while driving in the car, or riding with other people, that I have acquired quite a fear of being in a car crash again. Specifically getting rear ended or to rear end someone else. It seems to be rather obvious that getting rear ended as I did that I would be a little more cautious about driving. But I now realize that it must have effected me deeply. Every time someone else I am driving with, or myself, has to put the breaks on more quickly than normal my entire body tenses up and my adrenaline starts to pump much quicker than it used to. It is not pleasant because it takes a little while for my body to return back to normal after such occurrences.

I faced this fear even more when we went to Disney's Epcot last week. There was a ride called Fast Track that simulated a vehicle testing system. During the briefing I grew a little tense at the thought of the quick turns and bumps the ride would take us on. I had been worried about the jerking it might do to me, and while waiting in line I actually considered turning around and not going on the ride. Oh my! I am not used to being afraid of things like that. I did go on the ride and braced myself through the whole thing, but thankfully it really wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it. I chose not to go on it a second time, but I did enjoy it. It is weird what a traumatic experience such as getting in a car crash can do to you. Hopefully I will not have such a fear for too much longer.

No comments: