Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Singin' in the Rain

There are so many movies that I enjoy and can be considered my favorites for different reasons. But there are two movies that I can consider my favorites, one of them is Disney's Beauty and the Beast, the other MGM's Singin' in the Rain. The latter movie I was able to see in play form last night for the first time. Oh how I enjoyed it!

My friend Emma and I had wanted to go to the play as soon as we had heard that it was going to be at the Ordway, and we bought tickets in February. And even though we bought them so far ahead of time I was still surprised to see how close we were to the stage. We were in the forth row from the front!


One of the first times I remember watching Singin' in the Rain was at my friend Ahna's house for her birthday party when we were about 8 years old. It was a sleepover and consisted of many little girls full of popcorn and koolaid running around and dancing to the music. So it was very ironic that her parents bought tickets for the same night that we had purchased our tickets. Emma, Carrie and I had planned and mistakingly forgot to ask Emily if she wanted one. But she was able to come with as well as our friend Ahna. (Way to bomb her parents date night.) But it was so much fun.

As we were getting ready and I was waiting in the car I watched the rain drops from the sky fall on my windshield- and I realized. What a perfect night!! It was raining on opening night of the play dedicated to rain and the enjoyment of it.

I admit that there were a few things I didn't like about the play, I thought the main character that played Kathy Zeldon was slightly annoying and didn't have any of the charm and grace that Debbie Reynolds had in the movie production. But it still was amazing and the characters that played Don Lockwood and Cosmo more than made up for my lack of admiration for the other lead's role.

The costumes were beautiful and our seats gave us such a close proximity to the actors we could see the sweat on their forheads after the dance numbers.

I think if I could I would attend the theater once a week. It is so amazing to see actors and dancers right in front of you, especially when they act out one of my favorite tales. Perhaps the next show I will see will be my oher favorite movie. Beauty and the Beast comes out in the winter!

No comments: