Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Car has Arrived

I think in purchasing something of a large amount you are never quite sure how it will all come about. I have been looking at cars on Craig's List since I came back from Scotland. I had hoped that there would be an interesting story behind my purchasing a car... I love stories... And it just so happened that I do have an interesting one to tell.

About a month ago I was praying for direction in what kind of car to purchase. There were so many out there and I did not know which one to choose from. While doing a search for a Toyota I came upon a Volkswagon. Tricky how people put other words in their listing to get you to look. I then came on an ad for a VW Jetta and I realized that I really liked the style and shape of the car (what can I say I am a girl and we care a lot what a car looks like.) My dad said that they were good cars and lasted a long time. So I came the the decision to buy a VW Jetta.

There were a lot of Jettas, phone calls, and emails to my dad and brother before I found the one I came to buy. But there was always something wrong with ones that I looked at, and I didn't feel at peace about going to look at any of them. In making large purchases of things over the price of $50 I make sure I feel really good about it. Even more so in this because it was going to be over at least the price of $3000.

Finally, after looking on Craigslist and a ton of other sites, I came upon a 2000 Jetta that was under $4000. I was interested. I looked at the pictures and description and didn't understand why it was so inexpensive compared to the other Jettas of its kind. Then I looked at the location- it was located in Duluth. That could be a minor set back, but it still could work. After going through the ropes of seeing what my family thought about it, we all felt like it was a good car and that we should go up north and look at it.

On Monday afternoon my Dad and I set out on a road trip to Duluth. We drove through Duluth and about another 30 minutes north. While we drove on the dark back roads of Northern Minnesota, Dad commented that we must be almost to Canada. Indeed it felt like it was that far when we finally arrived at J&M Autosales.

Michael Nynes, the man selling the car, was young and friendly. He introduced us to the car and then we took it for a drive. My Dad listened to the engine and checked brakes and steering, while I checked out the heated seats and the inside features (I am such a girl.) We drove it back and looked it over inside the well lit building.

I liked the car a lot, but after not having a car for almost a year it was almost scary to think that I could actually drive home with one. That I would actually hand over the large amount of cash we brought with us to a person I just met. But I have been praying for a car for a long time and this car was everything I prayed for. It had to be God!

We handed over our money bag of cash and signed a whole bunch of paperwork. I was now the proud owner of a beautiful car. AHHHHH!!! I am so excited and happy! Now I just have to find a name for him. Yes it is a boy, that much I am sure of.

Sorry I do not have photos yet. I will take them as soon as I can get a car wash.

No comments: