Sunday, May 04, 2008

Last First Sunday

Today we went to our church for the last time. It was so sad to leave it! But they gave us a wonderful send off.

Destiny bought a new building on the other side of town and yesterday we went to go look at it. I hope to return someday to see how it looks when it is completed. Tyler was there to help with the refurbishment, while us girls were just there to look at it. We had to wear hard hats to walk in the building. They put Tyler to work right away demolishing a wall with a sledge hammer. I suspect all my other guy friends would love such a project. I mean who wouldn't love demolishing things all while helping a church out? It really is going to be a nice building when it is finished.

Peter Anderson the pastor of the church came in to help, so Tyler told us later of how they worked together. Tyler and I had also been able to talk with him the weekend before after church. He is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. He is always grinning from ear to ear, and has a lot of wisdom.

There was several people who knew it was our last Sunday at church. After worship the pastor asked, "Where are my friends from Cincinnati? Could you raise your hands?" He asked it several times and I looked around to see what other Americans were in the building.
"Is there no people from Cincinnati?" he asked again. Nancy in front of us leaned over and said, "I think he is talking about you."
"Oh!" I exclaimed, "We are from Minneapolis not Cincinnati." We were only a few rows back from the front so she told the pastor we were from Minneapolis.
"Oh they are from Minneapolis!" he exclaimed and everyone in the church burst out laughing. He then changed the question, "Is there anyone from America here today?" We then shot our hands up in the air. It was hilarious.

He asked us to stand and explained to the congregation that it was our last day with them. He then asked if we had anything to share. Ali raised her hand right away. I was surprised because she is somewhat afraid of talking in front of people. He then motioned us to come up. Tyler almost stayed behind but I motioned him to follow. Peter handed the mic to Ali and she started to share her heart and how much Destiny Church has blessed her. She really is a changed person and it was so touching hearing her share as she tried not to cry.

I then took the mic and thanked everyone for welcoming us into their church and also how nice it was to have a place to come to and feel like home. Tyler didn't want to share but the pastor told how Tyler and him had worked together the day before. He then had the entire congregation pray for us. It was so nice to have prayer for a safe trip home.

We had many people say goodbye to us, some who we haven't even met yet. It was so nice and made me sad that I was leaving them all. Peter was outside greeting people when we left, we hung back until he stopped talking with someone. He smiled and thanked us for coming and for what we had shared in the service. He kept wishing us well and I had a feeling he wanted us to stay and talk as much as we wanted to. But we had to go eat and then head home. He raised his arms and waved to us as we walked away from the building. I think it will be one of those memories I always have. Peter standing outside waving to us and grinning from ear to ear.

There have been many speakers whose messages have touched and changed me over the years. But I believe Peter Anderson is right up there in my top ten. He is a man who loves his God, wife, family, church, community and city. His messages are always simple enough for the unbeliever, yet deep enough to make me think and to spur me on to be better than I am now. And he always talks about Jesus. I love that.

Anyways, I was sitting alone against our couch in Whetherspoons while Al and Tyler went to order our food. I was praying and telling God that I didn't want to leave this place. Tears came to my eyes as I realized that next week I would be 6000 miles away from here and I didn't know when I would return. It really did feel as though I was leaving another home, not that it made my home in the U.S any less dear to me, but it did make me very sad.

For a split second I could see myself living here in Scotland and going to this church. For a minute I thought about the possibilities. But soon the moment passed and I realized that this is how life will be as I continue to get older. I will meet people and go to new places that will feel like home to me. But eventually I will have to leave, I will have to say goodbye. I realized life is full of goodbyes, and I can now use my goodbyes to help me appreciate my hellos even more.

I feel very torn as I prepare to go home. Scotland has become very dear to my heart, and Dalkeith has become very dear to me as well. I love the people here and the land. I love how I could drive three hours one way and reach the mountains, one hour or less the other way would reach the sea. I love how it is so different than in the U.S. and yet still there is so much the same.

Five more days, that is all I have. I hope to make the most of it.



Ali, Tyler and I. Ali and I went shopping the day before and I got a new kilt and she bought a new dress that I picked out. We told Tyler that he had to dress up so he looked very nice as well. We were thankful that we did when they called us up front! This is us standing in front of our house.


P.S. I really am excited about going home, don't worry!

1 comment:

Emily said...

hill this blog made me cry, for I am leaving my home of 3 years and I don't know how i'm going to make it.