Wednesday, April 16, 2008

At Last...

My roommate is headed to the Orkney Islands this weekend. I had heard that she, and two others, were going to drive a car up there. Ali, Tyler, Meredith and I were in my room talking, and Novia came in. She was so excited, and was talking about how cute the car she had was. Then she commented on the key chain and how it wasn't really a key. It looked like the automatic car door opener, but it fit into the Mini like a key. She then went on about how much fun they had cruising around tonight.

I was lounging on my bed and then sat up suddenly.
"Hold on a second!" I said interrupting her, "Did you say a Mini?"
She laughed and said yes, it was a Mini.
"You mean a Mini Cooper?" I asked again.
"Yes." she said again.
"That is my favorite car and I always have wanted to ride in one!"

(I apparently needed it to be clear that it indeed was the same car before I got excited.)

We both laughed and I couldn't believe it. She was going to have it for five days. I asked her if I could have a ride in it sometime. She said, "of course!" I had a feeling that she was excited, that I was so excited about it. Then I realized that I was leaving the next day at 1:30pm for my hiking trip through the highlands. I said as much, and then she said, "Well, I can take you right now?"

I was so happy.

"I have to change my pants." I said while looking down at the lounge pants I had on.
"You are fine just as you are."
"I can't ride in a Mini Cooper looking like this!" I told her very firmly. I had burgundy pants on with a turquoise shirt and checkered socks. She laughed and of course agreed with me completely.

After putting some jeans on we headed out. She was borrowing the car from a good friend in Dalkeith. I was amazed. I sort of wished that I knew how to drive a stick better than I do. Perhaps I could have driven it around the park.

We had a good drive, she took me around Dalkeith. I enjoyed the ride fully, and like the car's get up and go attitude. If that makes any sense at all.


It has now happened, I finally was able to ride in my favorite car. The next step is to drive one, but I don't think that will happen here in Scotland. I will have enough trouble with driving a stick, without having to the whole driving on the other side of the road thing thrown in.

Thank you Novia for taking me for a drive, you made my night.
P.S. I know it looks like I am in the driver's seat, but really that is the passenger's seat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hillary. I can't believe it. And here I thought your little Honda was your favorite car!

Congratulations on your Mini passenger status!

Amy