It is great fun to have our cook Henry and his wife Ann as our host parents. My roommate Ali and I went with them today to Rosslyn Chapel. Accompanying us was their adorable granddaughter Cleo. I did not get as many photos as Ali. I will post a close up later on.
After we saw the chapel and went on a short walk we went to their home again. It was funny because Cleo basically did everything my nephew does at my parent's home. She walked around, took everything out, handed toys to us, laughed and giggled. She was a doll. I am looking forward to the niece I will have in the summer because of her.
Henry then served us a beautiful supper. We had a beginning course of spaghetti. I can't even describe the lusciousness of it. Then we were served chicken in a lovely pepper gravy sauce, homemade mashed potatoes and vegetables. Afterwards we were served a layered cake with fruit on top, which he confessed that he bought at the store.
The majority of the students at Dalkeith are afraid of our dear cook. Almost all of them don't think Henry likes them at all. Perhaps it is the occasional swearing, maybe his blank looks at their jokes, or the no nonsense directions of kitchen duties. In telling him the general house opinion, he just laughed and said, "I have to be strict the first three weeks, then I let go a bit and everyone is comfortable." Henry has to be strict in order to keep our kitchen clean. At this time our dishwasher is broken. He said now he will have to strict and scary for four weeks instead of three. Because when the dishwasher gets fixed we will have to relearn all the cleanup work again.
Ah, Henry. If they only saw how mushy you are when you are with your granddaughter. Yes it is nice to be on the inside.

2 comments:
Henry and Ann sound wonderful!! You really have the perfect host parents and you feel comfortable with them, I can tell. I am amazed at their generosity and warm-hearted hospitality. Such kindness, really makes a mother (me) feel thankful. And then seeing a toddler that reminds you of our little Holt, what a nice surprise that is.
M.
I can't believe he would buy a precooked cake!!! Outrageous!
Post a Comment