Sunday, February 17, 2008

Getting to Destiny Church

Ah, finally after three weeks I was able to attend church. (Actually they had a prayer service at Rosslyn Chapel while we were there so that isn't fully true.) I had searched the internet looking for a place to go. I wanted to find somewhere similar to my church at home. I didn't think I would find a replica. But I wanted somewhere more contemporary, had a younger populace, and what can I say... I wanted it to be alive. After typing "charismatic church" in Google, Destiny was the first one to pop up.

We sure had a crazy time getting there. From Dalkeith there are two bus lines that go into the city. The number 3 and the number 49. Destiny Church is north of the Edinburgh City Center about 10 minutes in an area called Leith. The 49 actually goes all the way from Dalkeith to Leith. It is pretty much a straight shot through the city center of Edinburgh. Unfortunately the 49 doesn't leave early enough to get there at 10am. We would have been 15 minutes late.

I decided to take the 3 and then change to the 7 to get to Leith, we would have been 20 minutes early then. Well, Ali and I got out of the house a little late. Our bus was supposed to leave at 8:52 from Dalkeith. Two blocks away at 8:50 we saw it turn the corner to pull out of Dalkeith. I should have realized it might be early on Sunday. Well we waited a half an hour to get on the next bus at 9:22. I thought we were going to have to go to the 12pm service instead.

I planned on riding to the North Bridge, which is basically the downtown area, and changing to the 7 bus there. As we were riding on the bus I noticed that the bus stops before the North Bridge had a sign saying that the 7 bus stopped there as well. I just about to tell Ali that we could get off now and just wait for a 7. But, low and behold while we were at a stop what bus would happen to pass us but the number 7!! I saw it pushing on ahead and through the stop light. So much for that idea. We not only missed our first bus but the one we would catch next passed us by. We were sure to be late.

We kept riding and then close to the bridge the 7 was held up and then we passed it. Haha! It is interesting how these things work. We arrived at the bridge and jumped off, then we realized that the 7 was stopped a block in back of us at the beginning of the bridge and wasn't going to stop where we were dropped off. For some reason though it was waiting there. "Let's try for it Ali," I said to her and we walked briskly off. It still wasn't moving and we thankfully arrived a little before it headed out.

It really was a quick trip and at exactly 10am we walking into the church. We smiled at the man who was handing us a pamphlet and were thankful the entrance wasn't even a block from the bus stop. Seats were hard to get but we weren't upset. We arrived and were ready for the music to start. I don't fully have an opinion of the church yet. It felt different but that is to be expected. I will write more next time.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Hillary I'm so glad you want to church yesterday. I actually stayed in 2 churches on leith walk, and ministered in a couple. I think i've probably seen Destiny church before. Crazy huh?? Well call me !!!

hillwalk said...

They started about 10 years ago. But I don't think they had this same building the whole time. It is sort of a chain of churches, although I don't want to call it that. There is a Destiny church in all the major cities in Scotland. That is funny though that you remember Leith Walk.
Hill

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you finally made it to church and you had a friend to go with you!! Email the fam and tell us how it went.