Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I'm a Bad Mom! (not really)

Today was a busy day in the morning. I got to the Lucas house at 9am. I heard Nathan the 2 1/2 year old yell my name from upstairs- and I smiled. I take care of the boys Jeremiah (5) and his brother a couple days a week now. I love it. They are very well behaved boys and like little brothers to me. The last 5 months have been filled with activities. I take the boys out so their parents can work in peace in their home office.

This morning we went all around town. First was a new experience of getting a little boy's hair cut. "Just feed him as many suckers as it takes" Sheryl told me before we went. Nathan did such a good job and didn't even get scared of the plastic over thing.

After exclaiming how handsome he was we headed off to the library. I had been to this library a few times with the boys. So they knew their way around, this morning though it was overrun with more kids than I had ever seen there, i believe around 35-40 kids all under the age of 5 most likely.

I don't worry about Jeremiah as much because I assumed he knew his way around, the place is not that large. So I was reading Nathan a book and glancing every once in a while at Jeremiah while he was playing with the puppets. I looked up then and realized he had left the puppets. I was going to go check what other activity he was doing. Looking for a bright blue sweatshirt (I really need to keep having them wear bright clothes, it helps) I saw him sitting at a table. After a second glance I saw his face was all red and he was crying. I wondered if he got hurt. There was a lady standing next to him.

He saw me and ran to me. "Oh here is your mom!" the lady said. I knelt down and he hugged me. "Well I am not his mom but..." I said as she left. I held him and he put his hands in my hair. After some prodding I figured out that he felt lost and couldn't find me. Normally I don't think it would have been a problem but there were so many kids and mothers! I held him for a while and told him not to wander off again. He shook his head yes and calmed down. I was glad to see him smile again I brought him to Nathan. Jeremiah is such a tender guy. He loves his brother and feels things deeply. I love him. He gave his little brother a hug and they started playing.

We also went to McDonalds that day and Northwestern Bookstore. It was quite jammed packed morning. Sheryl said she is training me to be a mom when I told her all that we did.

I told this story to my family and that is when I got the phrase from Carrie "You were a bad mom!" I laughed and had to repeat it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good story told by a good writer. . .