I have always felt quite lazy because I don't like to exercise. My friend Joanna just finished a 10-mile race on Saturday and I was a little in awe of her. She says she is addicted to exercise and I often wondered how people could be. What is the motivator? Why do you totally love to tax yourself?
But then I realized that although running doesn't appeal to me I do like to exercise. I absolutely love to dance. I never really consider it exercise because of my own enjoyment. But when I realized the comparison I understood completely the draw for other kinds of physical activity.
My favorite feeling in the world is as follows: a song is playing, I feel a flutter inside of me, I know that I HAVE to dance. I find some space, sometimes on stage, sometimes it is just in the corner of the room. Or perhaps when I have an empty sanctuary- or my tiny room. And then I just give it all I've got.
The excitement and exhilaration cannot compare. Doing it half way just feels wrong. If you see me dancing half heartedly just know it is driving me crazy- and there is usually something wrong with me.
When I stop and sweat drips down my face. When my muscles call out to me, and when I relive the excitement of catching some air- that is when I know that I could do this forever. When I feel completely taxed, when I can hardly walk, when I know that if I danced another minute I would possibly trip and fall from exhaustion. That is when I feel the best, and can compare it to running a 10-mile race.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment