We jumped off the bus and walked slowly. He knew where we were going, I just followed. Our packs were heavy. I was not sure how far I could go without a rest, however our destination was in site. I saw the lighthouse off in the distance.
The sun was slowly sinking upon the horizon. We tried to quicken our pace so that we would arrive before the sun dropped completely from view.
The lighthouse became larger as we came closer to it. We finally made out what was around it. It stood on the edge of a cliff. There was a small group of buildings next to the lighthouse and they were all surrounded by a short brick wall around. We stopped at the small gate. We knocked and the lighthouse keeper came. We asked for a toilet and for water, he was able to provide both. My brother asked if we could camp on the other side of the lighthouse and we were granted permission.
We were standing inland facing west. The lighthouse was positioned with the sea on the north and west sides and land on the south and east sides. We walked along the cliff edge to the north. There was around 10 feet from the lighthouse wall to the edge of the cliff. As we walked to the west side we came to a section where there was only 4 feet from wall to edge. We walked carefully and slowly. We finally came to the spot he wanted to camp.
The wind was blowing so fiercely I was afraid to take anything out of my pack for fear that it would whisk away. I glanced skeptically at him. Wondering if we could really camp 10 feet from a drop off and in such a strong wind. But he smiled and said that his tent could handle it. So very carefully we took the tent out and set it up.
The tent was set up and we stepped back, I observed how small it looked compared to the vast expanse of ocean that lay before us. I somehow felt insignificant before the greatness of the waters above the earth, and below. We looked out to sea and thought of the far north that was out there, miles and miles farther north than we were, but much closer than ever before. It grew darker.
We ate our camping meals and got our sleeping bags out to get ready for bed. After getting in we fell asleep to the sounds of the waves hitting the rocks below our high perch. In the middle of the night I woke up when he got out of tent. I wondered what he was doing. He called to me, telling me to come out of the tent and look.
Anticipating darkness I was surprised at how light it was. I looked and could see where the sky met the waters. Then I looked up to the lighthouse and stood in awe. This great beam of light was steadily moving around and around. I saw it as it hit the waters below, and how it never wavered. It was the most eerie feeling I have ever had- staring at a lighthouse in the middle of the night, the waves crashing below. Darkness and light combined. The darkness was not completely overtaken, but wherever the light went the darkness moved.
We both walked to the toilet room together. I was frightened about the narrow part, but we kept our hands on the wall and managed okay. We couldn't see the drop off anyways so our fear was lessened. After getting back into my sleeping bag I laid there a while watching the beam of light through the canvas of our tent's roof. I do not know why I had such a fascination with this great structure. But I was thankful that I was convinced to camp here. It is an experience I will not ever forget.
Friday, June 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, Hill. That was a great story. That experience was truly enchanting. I'm glad you chose to write about it. I like the part about the darkness moving; could that be symbolic for anything?
Hillary!
Thanks for the story! You transported me to the scene and I could feel the wind and hear the waves.
Where else can you take me? I would be glad to go.
Cally Jo
Post a Comment