Stella, Everett and Lucy are the most imaginative kids I know. I remember being that way when I was young. After every new movie, or every new story, a whole host of new possibilities arose for whom we could pretend to be. Recently the kids are Anakin, Ahsoka and Princess Leia from Starwars. During playtime a need will arise for someone to play the "bad guy". I try to tell them that there can be an imaginary bad guy, but the kids, Everett especially, refuse this option. The bad guy must be played by a real person apparently. Of course no one wants to declare themselves the bad guy, so it usually happens that a, "you're the bad" guy war irrupts, which often leaves one or more kids in tears.
Today such a outbreak ensued and two-year-old Lucy ran to me in tears crying, "Everett said I the bad guy!"
To comfort her I asked, "Lucy who is in charge?"
"You are Miss Hillary."
"Yes, I am in charge, and Everett is not. So I say you can be the princess, and you should stop listening to Everett."
How often do we listen to the voice inside of us that tells us we can't do or be something that God the Father already calls us? Too often. We need to remember Who is in charge and who He says we are, not who the world or the enemy says we are.

No comments:
Post a Comment