Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Sunday to Remember

It started off well. My brother Norman and his wife LeAnne were on a trip so my sisters and I were watching the nephews. Sunday morning was my turn so I took them to church with me. We had a great time except for the end when I was leaving.

My Dad and I had switched cars, it was easier for me to transport the boys in the van, and he was driving up north to preach at a church so I let him take my car. I bundled the boys up and we exited out the back of the church. I started the van and then climbed in the back to buckle them into their seats. They were in. I grabbed my phone and a carton of peanuts to bring in the front seat with me and then I pulled the door shut. After I shut the door I watched in horror as the van automatically locked itself. My heart fell as I watched the little lock buttons fall on both the front and back door-- I had just locked my nephews into the car and we don't have a spare key.

I stood there starring at the side of the car in disbelief. Vehicles are not supposed to lock themselves until you are driving away! Apparently my dad's van didn't know that little piece of information. After trying all the doors I went around the car and started talking to Holt through the window. I told him what had happened and tried to tell him to push the red button between his legs to get out of his seat, but he was not getting it.

I don't think I have felt such a panic feeling before. Obviously they were okay, the car was running and warm, and they were buckled in. But I couldn't get to them, and that felt horrible! It was a weird feeling when I walked into church. I felt embarrassed, worried, and useless. I wanted to tell someone but I realized that no one could really help me, and I felt like crying. I went outside once again. My friend Mike came by, but couldn't really help and he needed to get going. Mike was trying not to laugh even though he felt sorry for me. It was then that I realized this really was a humorous situation. He left and I called Mom and she got a hold of roadside assistance through our insurance company, but it was going to take a while for them to get there.

In the mean time, Blake started to cry. There is no way to calm a one and a half year old through a window. But thankfully soon afterwards he fell asleep. Holt started to get scared after being in his seat for about 20 minutes, and started to cry. I tried to tell him to lay his head back and get a little rest too, but the music was playing in the car so I don't think he could hear me very well.

I got a automated call telling me the estimated arrival of the rescue guy. 30 minutes! And Holt was crying. I was so frustrated, I am a nanny for goodness sake! I take car of children for a living! But my 3 year old nephew was crying and I couldn't help him.

Soon other people were leaving church and came by to try and help. One of the men suggested calling the police because they weren't too far away and could be there in 5 minutes. So I called 911 and told them the situation. My brother Colin and his wife Kristi showed up, they had been at my mother's house and had heard the story.

They tried to talk to Holt and calm him down as well, but to no avail. Finally a truck pulled up and a man jumped out, I was so happy to see him! He had a lot of contraptions and after I signed papers started to go to work. Not even a minute later the police showed up as well. We were starting to look like we were having a party outside in the back of the church. The officer went in his trunk and got out his tool and asked the truck man if he wanted to race to get the van open. The police officer won.

We got it open and Colin got Holt out of his seat and gave him a hug to calm him down. It didn't take too long. I think Holt was more excited to see the "police officer" and the "truck man" rather than actually getting out of his seat. But I was happy that he was okay. Blake was sleeping still so he was just fine! I thanked the officer and the other man. After getting information from me they left.

Oh what an afternoon. I already know I probably won't live this whole experience down for quite a long time. I am more than willing to be the cause of so much laughter and hilarity. Carrie hugged me when I got home and said "out of all of us it would happen to you!" Yes, I do tend to have random things happen to me. So even though I had to wait outside in the cold for 45 minutes, it really turned out okay. I am thankful that they really weren't in danger, that Blake fell asleep (a 1.5 year old in a car seat for that long could be ugly,) and especially that Holt didn't have to use the bathroom during that time.

I don't think Holt will be scarred for life or anything, despite the tears, he was having too much fun later recounting the story to everyone. I had made sure on the drive home that he knew what REALLY happened. Later I smiled as he told his dad, "the car accidentally locked us in, and the police officer and the truck man got me out!"

No comments: