Monday, December 08, 2008

Why God Made Poop Smell

There are often times where I get a revelation of God's amazing creation. but today it was not from a place with beautiful scenery or a quiet tender moment. Instead it was found at my work sitting on the kitchen floor changing a diaper.

Most of the time we consider the smell of our human feces a bad thing. When the bathroom has an overwhelming odor from the previous occupant, when the dog dropped something in the wrong place, or when we have to use an outhouse and get a whiff of the you-know-what sitting there for days on end. Yes the smell is terrible, but what if poop didn't smell? Where would we be?

As a nanny the dirtiest part of my job has to do with the kids and their digestive system; putting the food in, and making sure they stay clean when it comes out. The little girl I take care of has super sensitive skin, so if she sits in anything too long she will develop a diaper rash quicker than you could say the the pledge of allegiance. Of course then I need to make sure then that if she poops that I change it as soon as I can.

There are a few ways to check if a diaper is full:
1. Dig through all the layers of clothing, unsnap the snaps, unbutton things etc, and get a good look and see if indeed there is something inside.
2. Touch the outside of the diaper and feel if it feels full. Bi product number one usually fills up the diaper easier than bi product number two.
3. Pick up the child and smell their posterior. By far the easiest method.

And of course this is all very important because no one wants to deal with a baby with a diaper rash, the stories I have would horrify you, and it wrenches your heart to see them in pain.

So what if poop didn't smell? It would be so much more difficult to check diapers, and just think of all the times you smelled poop and it made you able to avoid it? I don't want to go into the details of those types of situations, I am sure we have all had one with some product of creature digestion.

It is weird to say but I believe while God was thinking how to create us He also put thought our feces and designed our digestive system in such a way that poop would smell. That way it is like a danger sign to us- "STAY AWAY- YOU DO NOT WANT THIS AROUND YOU!" And just perhaps He thought of all of us childcare providers and mothers who would need to change their child's diapers for the next thousands of years. Thank you God! I am glad that it smells.

No comments: