Saturday, April 12, 2008

Stirling Castle With the Girls

The day started off rainy, but changed. Imagine that, Scotland weather changing. I have determined now to always dress exactly the opposite of what I think it is going to be like. I checked the weather today and it said it was going to be raining. To prepare for this I dressed in many layers and Ali brought the large house umbrella. We only needed these things for about 2 hours of the day.

But we are used to the change by now and have almost ceased complaining about it. When we think it is sunny- it rains. When we think it is going to rain, it is sunny. We did not complain about the sunshine though. It made our experience all the more enjoyable. My outer two shells were shed as we walked through the town of Stirling from the bus stop.

It was an upward hike to our destination."Why do they always put the castles on top of hills?" Ali asked as we trudged up through the town. "Defense?" I suggested to her, and then asked, "Why do they put the bus station on the opposite end of town from the castle?" I didn't receive any comments, just laughter.



This weekend was an Historic Scotland free weekend, which meant that most of the castles had free admission. I had always wanted to go in Stirling Castle ever since my brother and I went there for a tour, but decided not to pay the admission.

Ali, Mere and I arrived and were excited about exploring. We went directly to the Great Hall. Meredith said that they had filmed some of Harry Potter there. (It seems as though they have films parts of Harry Potter in every historic place in Scotland.)

It was a beautiful room. I loved the windows near the throne area.

I was not fully prepared for my first encounter with the
royal banquet hall. It was a grand place. As I sat down in the royal throne at the long table I felt right at home, as though I belonged there... okay not really. I mostly was just trying to smile quick so the little kids in line could have their turn.

(Sorry, the pictures is a little washed out from the window lighting above.)













We walked all around the castle and enjoyed it thoroughly. The girls got hungry and wanted to go eat in town. I asked if I could stay and look around. There was one place I wanted to find, and it wasn't in the castle.

I had come to Scotland six years ago with my brother Colin. That trip really was the reason I came back to Scotland. We had gone on a day tour while we were here. The tour bus stopped at Stirling, but because of lack of funds we did not go into the castle. That is why I was determined on this trip to visit it.

Instead of touring the castle, Colin and I walked around on the paths near the castle. I was looking while in the castle for a small hill that Colin and I climbed up on and took a picture. It was my favorite picture during our trip in Scotland. There is a church next to the castle, that has a beautiful cemetery. It was there that I found the place Colin and I had gone. I still remember us eating our lunch there, and how Colin set up his camera and timer in order for both of us to be in the picture. In order to commemorate the moment I took another picture of myself in that place.


No comments: