Today I had quite an adventure. My journey to find the ancient oaks was an interesting one filled with mud and winding trails. I had heard of these trees that were thousands of years old from several people here and I was determined to find them myself. Thankfully I had looked at a map ahead of time. My sense of direction cannot rely solely on itself. I actually had no idea where I was going, the map had the main roads but not the side trails. It was on these trails that I had to go to find the trees. Every once in a while I would see a little blue marker with an arrow… no explanation… just an arrow. Once it led into a circle, and two times I had to jump over a gate. There was also a sign that basically said "warning bull in field." So on my walk I had to try to avoid th fields, and when I was out in the open I kept my eyes out for the cows. Yes it was quite an experience.
It was getting darker when I finally arrived at the oaks. They were beautiful and so old looking I half expected them to start talking to me as the Ents do in Lord of the Rings. Alas, because it was darker, and because I was trying to find my way back, I did not get the greatest pictures. But, since I know how to find the place now, I will go back on a sunny day and take some more.

1 comment:
Wow. I remember doing the same thing only the first time we went out there we got a guided tour and they explained where the oaks were and we stood out in a circle of them. I went back on our own and took great pictures, of course those were stolen too. Love Laura
Post a Comment