Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Turkey's too BIG!




This morning I took a deep breath as I approached the grocery store. (Okay so I didn't really take a deep breath, but it sounds better that way.) The day before Thanksgiving is a mad house at the grocery store. People are running around like chickens with their heads cut off- grabbing at the frozen fruit, searching through the spices for the cloves or pumpkin pie spice, and making sure they get that turkey that is on sale for 38 cents a pound.

I had exactly twenty minutes before I had to leave to go to my work (less than a minute away), and I had a nice long list with coupons from my mom. I was slightly frightened at what the store might present to me. Would I find everything? Would I be searching frantically for the Cool Whip? I had no idea.

Thankfully that early in the morning everything was well supplied. The employees had all of their boxes pallets out restocking the food in preparation for the day time rush. I approached the frozen meat section in search of a turkey. I just then realized the possibility of their not being one. I breathed a sigh of relief to see about seven lovely birds still chillin' together in the cooler. I checked the list to see if my mom mentioned what size turkey she wanted. It didn't say so I decided since I like turkey just to pick the biggest one- which happened to be a 22 lb bird.

So I was slightly late to my job, and I missed getting the turkey gravy, but I pretty much was satisfied with my shopping experience. Tonight I got home with the goods and my mom helped bring the groceries inside. She thought that the turkey seemed rather heavy.

She opened up the bag and was surprised to see such a big bird! (BIG BIRD HA!) She realized she forgot to tell me that she already had a turkey- a smaller one, one that is already thawed. She had wanted another small one. We both laughed. It wouldn't have mattered really if she had told me because there were only big turkeys at the store anyways. It was just hilarious that I picked the biggest one. I guess we will have a lot of leftovers- which of course is what I wanted.


I must continue on a second more- we discussed what to thaw the turkey in and and found a solution in a garbage can (we cleaned it with soap.) Hope you enjoy.



No comments: