Friday, November 03, 2006

Crazy Night

I know sometimes that I am meant to be a writer when everything I do runs through my head as a story. To explain further I see everything as an adventure. Words run through my head as I grapple with the best way to describe it.

I realize I was named correctly- "Hillary" means "Cheerful." Keep that in mind.

It was a long night closing. Previously on closing nights I had other people here to help mop and vacuum. Tonight I had to do it on my own.

I was somewhat disappointed to have two of the other employees working on the computers. I had this sudden urge to put the music up high and start dancing with the mop. But I refrained, I didn't know them very well and was unsure as to how they would react. I smiled at the thought and bit down the urge to laugh. I love laughing.

I actually wasn't too happy, I had worked since 8am and it was around 10:10pm when everything inside was done. I realized before locking up that I had to take the garbage out back.

"Where is the dumpster?" I asked Bobby and Christa before they left.
"It is directly behind you."
I was a little unsure of what that meant as I watched them walk out the door. I dragged the garbage outside and locked the doors.

I didn't know the easiest way to get to the back. Would it have been better to walk through the mall? Or did I really have to walk all the way around the building. The strip mall the coffee shop is located in is in a "L" shape with our shop directly in the middle. After standing still out in the cold, I decided it didn't matter. I would just start walking.

The wind was blowing fiercely. I couldn't remember such a blustery day. The wind whipped around everything loose in sight. I grabbed both bags and tried to walk while balancing a heavy and not-so-heavy bag. The parking lot had a few cars and people walking around but I felt quite alone. It was the type of evening that could be compared to an old horror movie- "A dark forbidding night." At least it wasn't raining.

I walked past the row of businesses,glancing in the windows, realizing I had not paid any attention to them before. I reached the end of the building and turned the corner. A blast of air I had not expected blew against me. This where I suddenly went into adventure mode and tried to picture myself "against the odds" or "fighting with all my might" just to take the garbage out. The bags were wrestling with me to get free of my tight grasp. I wouldn't let them go! My eyes blinked against the wind and I wished for my full length wool coat.

Half way to the back of the building I realized the exhilaration of the fierce wind and I laughed. I love to experience new things and wrestling with bags of garbage with blistering fierce wind is new to me. I am fairly certain I am an optimist after such experiences.

I arrived in the back and saw a line of dumpsters surrounded by a tall wooden fence that extended about a couple feet above the dumpster. Of course it was the heavy bag that I threw over the fence first, only to realize afterwards that there was door to the fence that would allow me to only have to heave the bag the height of the dumpster instead of more. The lighter one was taken cared of much easier.

I thrust my hands into my pockets and thought of this time now- when I could sit down and explain my adventure to you in writing. Perhaps it is not as descriptive or as fun as I would like it to be when read. But I enjoyed telling about it. So I guess that is all that matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this little story. It was a story of the mundane that turned into an adventure and a memory. And captured in words, it was shared with others, pictured by them as they read, and made them SMILE!

M.